Quakers worldwide (in nine languages: Arabic, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish) are one of the five international associations I do service in today that seek to make our world better for all through the practice of spiritual/moral values/principles. Quakers offer me a tool kit for practising my intuitive/spiritual part. As a result, my physical and emotional health improves over time, and my mind and vision (perception) become clearer and broader.
I have come to believe that I need to practice on a daily basis in all my affairs:
- Humility – I don’t know, others might, I need to listen to learn and gain new perspective.
- Equality – I can learn from anybody.
- Community – I need others.
- Compassion/empathy – caring about and for others.
- Curiosity – asking Why?
- Imagination – imagining Why? through unplanned thoughts called intuitions.
- Positive Choice – choosing positive rather than negative, light rather than darkness, creation rather than destruction. Life becomes what we think it is, ancient wisdom tells us. We become who we think we are.
- Courage – facing the challenges at every level of this life, using Marcus Aurelius’ Serenity Prayer to know what we can change and accept what we cannot.
- Hope – believing in a better life that we cannot yet envisage.
- Gratitude – for the free gift of life we have all been given by power greater than us.
I have been aware of Quakers all my life, but as a young lad was raised in a church that said ‘we had The Truth’ and everybody else was wrong, I was cautioned to stay away from the beautiful Quaker house in my city of birth.
Decades later, I started attending a local Quaker meeting and applied for membership a year later.
Almost immediately, I began to serve that meeting by publishing their newsletter and to explore the greater Quaker world.
I have since done and continue to do service for Woodbrooke Learning and Woodbrooke Worship, in four Quaker special interest groups, and in one group affiliated with Friends World Committee for Consultation:
Quakers Uniting in Publications,
Quakers and Business Group,
Quaker Action on Alcohol, and Drugs,
Europe and Middle East Young Friends where I have led my Life Reflections workshop in person and online,
and Quaker Universalist Group for whom I have written and spoken My spiritual journey, from obedience to choice.
There is unending opportunity to be explored in Quakers. I hope to meet you sometime in person or online in the greater Quaker world where you are very welcome.